Breath Control Training for High Performance Athletes
With Breath Control Training (BCT) it is possible to significantly enhance sports performance in athletes. There is a lot to be gained from training the entire respiratory system including the lungs, especially if we consider them as the “filter” and “tank” of the human body. When you enhance the quality of the air that reaches the lungs (higher “octane”), the body will be able to increase performance in the short as well as the long term, becoming more explosive and capable of sustained effort. Establishing a functional breathing pattern along with specific breathing exercises and techniques provides the means to complete mental control which every high performance athlete desires – particularly in stressed situations.
At puck drop on opening faceoff or as you stretch with everything you’ve got to cross that finish line our scientifically proven breathing exercises and techniques to enhance sports performance will:
- Reduce breathlessness during physical exercise
- Reduce the risk of injury
- Increase oxygenated blood volume
- Improve balance, mobility and flexibility
- Help with acute and chronic pain management
- Significantly reduce exercise induced asthma
- Improve nasal breathing to improve arterial oxygen uptake
- Alleviate and manage stress, anxiety and panic associated with pre-game jitters.
- Encourage functional breathing patterns and proper posture
- Simulate High Intensity Interval Training – HIIT eliminating the risk of injury
- Simulate High Altitude Training
- Increase Erythropoietin – EPO production naturally and legally
- Improve tolerance to reduced oxygen and increased carbon dioxide
- Improve oxygen carrying capacity in the bloodstream
- Improve your V02 max
- Delay the onset of fatigue and lactic acid
- Improved repeat sprint ability for team sports- hockey, soccer, football etc.
- Improve diaphragmatic and respiratory muscle strength
- Stimulate anaerobic glycolysis
- Boost energy levels
- Improve the delivery of oxygen to muscles and organs
- Improve breathing efficiency
- Increase focus and concentration
- Induce vasodilation of the blood vessels to improve circulation
- Improve anaerobic threshold tolerance
- Open and expand airways
- Increase lung capacity and flexibility of respiratory muscles
- Improve oxygen uptake from the bloodstream to your muscles and brain
- Improve aerobic capacity and anaerobic capacity
- Improve sleep patterns
- Increase physical strength and mental toughness
- Improve aerobic economy and endurance
- Reduce oxidative stress
- Reduce recovery time and expedite injury rehabilitation
Yes, these sport performance enhancement benefits sound miraculous but we will thoroughly explore the science behind our training methods with you.
Sports or Exercise-Induced Asthma
The most common dysfunctional breathing pattern in athletes is the condition known as overbreathing. Overbreathing will result in constricted airways, a reduction in the amount of CO2 in your blood, and a lower Body Oxygen Level Test or BOLT score. For people with asthma, overbreathing during rest leads to overbreathing during exercise, which in turn leads to exercise induced asthma.
Positive Psychology – FLOW
In order for a high performance athlete to perform at their optimal level they must enter a state of positive psychology that is referred to as FLOW. In a state of FLOW an athlete is performing at their sport to which they are full immersed, focused, creative and productive. In this state of Flow the athlete has a loss of time and space with complete absorption in what he or she is doing allowing for strategic execution at any moment. Flow is defined as a peak state of consciousness where we feel our best and perform our best. It is the state where every action, movement or thought flows inevitably from the previous one. Elite athletes must enter a state of flow to attain peak performance.
There is absolutely no better technique to strengthen an athletes ability to enter the state of Flow than through our breath holding exercises paired with visualization and imagery techniques.
Breath Control training for sports and athletic performance employs a combination of several innovative and powerful breathing modalities including The Oxygen Advantage and the Breatheology method. We will first assess each clients unique current breath to identify functional and dysfunctional patterns. We will then develop a personalized Breath Control Training program for each individual athletes unique requirements to achieve peak performance.
Breath Holding Exercises and Retention Techniques
Our unique breath holding techniques derived from the sport of Freediving and specific breathing exercises can alter the biochemical composition of your blood to equip you with razor sharp judgement, focus and clarity as well as ensure your body is functioning at peak performance.
Performing breath holds and breathing exercises provides our clients with more energy, calmness, resilience to stress, mental stability, a greater focus on priorities and goals, a closer connection to the body and more attention to the moment.
Breath holding techniques and breathing exercises will also allow high performance athletes to receive all the benefits and none of the risks from simulating High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and also High Altitude Training to improve anaerobic and aerobic capacity.
The Breath Control for Sports Performance Training Program offers clinics and workshops to high performance athletes and sports teams internationally. Visit our Begin Breathing page to request further information and specific details.
I’m an NFL wide receiver and my BOLT score was 13. Three weeks later it’s 30 and improving; running has gotten so much easier. I’m in better shape for another opportunity because I’m so much better at the simple act of breathing. It really does add up! – Jay Wisner